- The World Health Organization (WHO) reports of 2016 indicate that the global prevalence of diabetes has risen from 4.7% adults in 1980 to 8.5% adults in 2014. A paper published in 2015 stated that approximately 70 million people in India are battling diabetes, which can be managed through simple lifestyle modifications like yoga and increased physical activity. However, management of diabetes is an uphill task as it is a disease that not only requires appropriate treatment and lifestyle changes, but also needs you to control your craving for the most irresistible component of your life — sweets.
Yoga poses to dispose of health risks
- The origin of yoga can be dated back to 2700 BC, and the existence of the science of yoga is considered to be before the existence of any religious beliefs. Yoga can help control diabetes in the following ways.
- The pancreas secretes insulin, a hormone responsible for controlling blood sugar levels. One of the causes of diabetes is decreased insulin sensitivity. Regular yoga practice and Pranayamas are useful in increasing the action of insulin.
- Whenever we read about the causes of any disease, stress is right there at the top. Stress causes the release of the hormone glucagon, which increases blood glucose levels. Pranayamas, various yoga asanas and a few minutes of regular meditation can help bring peace of the mind and body. This is useful in reducing stress and, thereby, glucagon.
- Obesity is another significant cause that leads to increased blood sugar levels. Sun salutation and Kapalbhati pranayama are the age-old methods proved to be useful in losing weight, and thus, can prevent the risk of diabetes as well as aid in its management.
- Diabetes is also found to get worse due to high blood pressure. Yoga asanas like the corpse pose (Shavasana), child pose (Balasana), bridge pose (Setu bandha sarvangasana), and Yoga nidra are yoga forms proved to be useful in the management of high blood pressure.
- Nadi shodhan Pranayama is useful in flushing out toxins from the body and relieving stress. It is helpful for the management of blood sugar levels. Another marvellous technique to combat diabetes is Sudarshan kriya. Its effectiveness in lowering blood sugar levels has been proven in many individuals with diabetes across the world.
- Meditation and breathing exercises are other stress busters and peace boosters for your mind and body. Stress is one of the significant causes of diabetes, while diabetes also leads to increased stress. The vicious cycle of stress and diabetes propagating each other can only be broken by learning to deal with stress.
- Once you have excelled in the regular practice of yoga and meditation, the cravings for sweets automatically reduce.
- Yoga calms you down, lowers your stress and, thereby, reduces the secretion of glucagon. Yoga also calms your nervous system, improves blood circulation, increases muscle tone, increases insulin sensitivity and, thus, helps manage blood sugar level. HealthAssure can help you manage sugar level through the ancient yoga techniques. Your rescue medicine is just a click away. You can also visit our primary health care centres located near you and walk on the path to a healthy life.
You can order have a call with dietician easily via HealthAssure and gain peace of mind.
Book your appointment at: 022-61676633
To get your login credentials for HealthPass, Please mail at: email@example.com